AIR Awards Judging & Eligibility
What is the eligibility period?
- The AIR awards celebrates the success of Australian Independent Artists with releases between the period January 1st – December 31st in the year preceding the AIR Awards event.
Who can nominate a release for the AIR Awards?
- To nominate an Australian Independent release for the AIR Awards you must be an AIR member as either a:
- Australian Independent Artist
- Australian independent label or distributor
- Global Independent label or distributor
Who can qualify for AIR membership?
- To qualify for AIR membership, you must be an Australian Artist, Australian or Global independent label/distributor that that holds at least 51% of its business ownership.
To find out more about AIR membership and pricing please click here.
- All award categories are voted on by AIR members
- Artist members can cast one vote in each category
- Associate members can cast two votes in each category
- Full members can cast three votes in each category
- Global labels and distributors can cast four votes in each category
- A pool of industry specialists are also invited to vote for awards in our specialist categories, including, Dance, Jazz, Classical.
- AIR labels whose artists are nominee finalists in any given year will be automatically nominated for the Best Independent Label category which is voted on by AIR members only.
If an AIR member chooses to distribute its catalogue through a third-party major label, they will still be eligible for the awards provided they own or control at least 51% of the master to be considered an independent release.
In some cases a release may be independent in Australia but may differ for the rest of the world.
In order to nominate in the Breakthrough Artist category, the nominated release must be the FIRST release of that type by the artist and the first time they’re nominated in that category. Eg. Were it a single nominated, the artist cannot have released a single before that one to be counted, but their first EP or Album may be nominated in that category at a later date.
Nominees for the Best Independent Label of the Year award only include the AIR Label members who have had a nominee shortlisted for that years award. Only AIR labels who were established in Australia are included in this category and voting is open to all AIR members for this peer-based award.
The AIR board reserves the right to remove any nominations that do not qualify as Australian independent releases by AIR members.